What is BIOS SkyBlue?
A proprietary circadian lighting solution created by NASA Spinoff BIOS Lighting, to promote better sleep, better energy, and better health.
How does BIOS SkyBlue work?
- Research has established that effective circadian lighting should include a “sky blue” (490nm) wavelength, which is found in daylight, but is missing from most traditional LED lighting systems
- The SkyBlue 490nm wavelength communicates directly with human biology via non-visual photoreceptors in the eye, known as ipRGCs (photosensitive retinal ganglion cells)
- ipRGCs contain melanopsin, a protein, which, when stimulated by light, sends a signal to the body to reset its cycle for the next 24 hours. This triggers a variety of biological processes, including the production of cortisol for morning alertness and melatonin for a good night’s sleep
- BIOS SkyBlue optimizes this natural process, without complicated controls, energy-sapping increases in illumination, and uncomfortable color temperature changes
- BIOS surpasses traditional white LEDs in melanopic content, regardless of CCT
BIOS SkyBlue Biological Benefits
Strengthen Circadian Rhythm
Better Night's Sleep
Two Circadian Solutions for a Variety of Applications
The SkyBlue® Static Spectrum system delivers the industry’s best melanopic ratio (MR) with R9 greater than 90 at each color temperature.
SkyBlue® Static is the ideal replacement for static color light fixtures in applications such as:
- Senior Daytime Care Centers
- Outpatient Clinics
The SkyBlue® Dynamic system provides a brilliant white light that is optimized for vision and circadian needs and is available in 3000K, 3500K, and 4000K. BIOS SkyBlue® Dynamic technology is dimmable and features a simple approach to circadian lighting controls. It also has the industry’s best melanopic ratio with R9 greater than 90 at each color temperature.
- Assisted Living Centers
WELL Building Standard™
BIOS lighting provides industry leading LED technology that gives designers the tools they need, contributing toward satisfying Circadian Lighting Design Feature 54 under the WELL Building Standard™ v1 and Feature L03 under the WELL Building Standard v2.
For more information about Kenall lighting featuring BIOS SkyBlue technology, contact the factory.